Tuesday, December 1, 2020

You Become What You Eat

 


Now, I am sure you expect me to tell you to stop eating junk food, go vegetarian, and never drink coffee again. Well, I am not doing that. You see, I believe that you have the right and freedom to choose what you eat. I wouldn't say I like it when people or the government tells us what we can and cannot do. 

You have to understand that with choice comes responsibility. You cannot just do what you want and not deal with the consequences of your action. Scouts and Scouters learn that just because they can do something does not mean they should. You can eat Twinkies until they come out of your ears, but you have to deal with the harm that can do to your body.

"You’ve got bad eating habits is you use a grocery cart in 7-Eleven.”

Dennis Miller

Comedian

 

I, like many Scouters, have struggled with eating right and my weight. In 2001, I had heart surgery and, since then, had to be more aware of my diet. I eat well, low-fat foods, and most organics. My problem was I would eat a lot at one time. I am not one for diets but found that regular exercise and proper portions do the trick.

The key to eating right is to use wisdom as to what you eat. Deep-fried foods and Twinkies are not a wise choice. However, you don’t have to eat like a rabbit either. Dave Barry said, “Eating rice cakes is like chewing on a foam coffee cup, only less filling.” There is a lot of good tasty food out there you can enjoy. I believe that every diet can work; the problem is never the diet; it is your ability and willingness to follow it. That being true, I think we can create our diet, stay with it, and win the battle.

There is also an abundance of material out there to help you know what foods are acceptable, how much to eat, and how to exercise. Don’t think you know it all; use the wisdom God has given to others. My friend, author, and fitness expert John M. Rowley has a great blog I often go to for guidance and advice. 

Remember that you can make choices; make them wisely. Food is the fuel that you need to run. Do not be giving yourself bad fuel and expect top performance. Eat right, and you will enjoy the results, not because you have to or because others are forcing you but because you make a choice.  

Scouting Out of Uniform is a personal blog based on the lessons learned from Scouting that relate to personal development and success principles and is not an official site of The Boy Scouts of America. John Patrick Hickey does not represent or speak for the Scouting program; however, he does completely support and encourages Scouting for both young and old. John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, Personal Development Coach, and proud Scouter. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business, or group, visit our website at www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2020 John Patrick Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment