Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Prayer Power

 


In all my dealings with people, the most common concern they have is praying – or should I say the lack of prayer. Scouts are Reverent, but they are also busy people, and there are times we are always on the run. When faced with a busy day, our prayer time is the first and most expendable thing to go. The reality is it’s the only thing we do in the course of our day that is not expendable.

“Prayer – secret, fervent, believing prayer – lies at the root of all personal godliness.”

William Carey

1761-1834

Missionary

 

I believe there are three areas concerning prayer that most people stumble on. 1) When to pray, 2) How to pray, and 3) What to pray. Let’s look at them:

·         When to pray:  I have heard that it is best to pray early in the morning, and then I heard late at night. I have heard that it is best to have times during the day to pray. No wonder people are confused. I have always believed that you know for yourself when the best time is. Missionary J. Hudson Taylor said, “Whatever is your best time of day, give that to communion with God.” He deserves your best.

·         How to pray:  I am not one for kneeling when I pray. Not because I do not respect being in the presence of the Lord, it is because if I kneel, I will fall asleep. I am the most alert when I pace. God knows that, and He would rather I was awake and attentive than fighting sleep. Billy Graham said, “It is not the body’s posture, but the heart’s attitude that counts when we pray.”

·         What to pray:  Scouts learn that there is nothing that is outside of God’s concern. That means that we pray for everything. Yes, God has given you wisdom and the ability to make decisions. I am not saying you pray to wear the red shirt or blue, but I am saying that you pray for all directions and guidance. As Charles Wesley said, “To God, your every wants in instant prayer display, Pray always; pray, and never faint; Pray, without ceasing, pray.”

Remember that you need to pray. It is not for God’s sake that we come to Him but for our own. As C.S. Lewis said, “Prayer does not change God; it changes me.”

Scouting Out of Uniform is a personal blog based on the lessons learned from Scouting that relate to personal development and success principles and is not an official site of The Boy Scouts of America. John Patrick Hickey does not represent or speak for the Scouting program; however, he does completely support and encourages Scouting for both young and old. John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, Personal Development Coach, and proud Scouter. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business, or group, visit our website at www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2020 John Patrick Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment