Thursday, July 16, 2020

Really Amazing Grace


As a believer in Jesus Christ, we know what a wonderful thing grace is. Grace is undeserved favor. You cannot earn it, and you cannot live without it. I need no one to tell me how unworthy I am to receive forgiveness and the mercy of God. I know all I have done; I know more of what I have done than anyone else because I know me. Yet I can say without a doubt that Jesus died to set me free and to give forgiveness for all my sins. I agree with John Newton, author of the hymn Amazing Grace, when he said, “My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner and that Christ is a great Savior.”

The twelfth part of the Scout Law is that A Scout is Reverent. Scouts learn that just as Christ showed grace to you, so you must show grace to others. That is easier said than done. Our expectations of others are often too high, and they fall short over and over again. We try to overlook faults and mistakes, but they keep doing them. Our desire for success can make us impatient with others. But then, we must remember that we, too, are full of mistakes and failures. We try to do right and fall short time and time again. But the grace of God never fails to be there for us.

“Grace means undeserved kindness. It is the gift of God to man the
moment he sees he is unworthy of God’s favor.”
D.L. Moody
1837-1899
Evangelist

As a Scout or Scouter, you must strive to be gracious to all and help people to be their best. Grace does not overlook mistakes as if they never happened. It replaces the punishment of mistakes with the correction to be better. Grace is loving and caring. It may not be easy, but it is necessary to be your best. Helen Keller said, “This world is so full of care and sorrow that it is a gracious debt we owe to one another to discover the bright crystals of delight hidden in somber circumstances and irksome tasks.”

The best way to be gracious is to remember the grace you received from the Lord. If you have not received that grace as of yet, it is there for you. The grace of God is available to all, no matter who you are or what you have done. God’s grace is free and waiting for you.

Scouting Out of Uniform is a personal blog based on the lessons learned from Scouting that relate to personal development and success principles and is not an official site of The Boy Scouts of America. John Patrick Hickey does not represent or speak for the Scouting program; however, he does completely support and encourages Scouting for both young and old. John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, Personal Development Coach, and proud Scouter. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business, or group, visit our website at www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2020 John Patrick Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment