Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Fanatic

“Good habits are worth being fanatical about.”
– John Irving
(1942- ) Novelist

I have been called a fanatic about many things.  I confess, I am a fanatic.  I am a fanatic about the principles of Scouting because I think it is good for a person to possess the character described in the Scout Law.  I am a fanatic about good manners.  I believe that the recapturing of good manners will improve and transform our society.  I am a fanatic about my Christian Faith.  I believe that there is nothing better than to know the only one God through His Son, Jesus Christ.  Yes, I am a fanatic!

                The key here is that when we can develop habits and beliefs that make us better as people, better our society and help others to succeed, how can we go wrong?  Let's look at the principles that are in the Scout Law.  For a person to work at being trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent is a wonderful thing.  What can you honestly find wrong in the list of qualities?

                I know that there will be someone out there who feels that the ask someone to be a person of character is asking too much, but then we have always had to give way to fools.  Who can be against some one being kind or honest or giving or cheerful?  There are no down sides to this.  I see the same in those who have good manners.  What can be wrong with a person treating others with respect and grace?

                We live in a time when some think that being a fanatic is a bad thing.  If you are a fanatic toward bad behavior or habits, then it is wrong.  Common sense (which we all know is not so common any more) tells us the difference between right and wrong.  You do not need laws or rules to tell you what decent and good behavior is.

                Success-minded people do their best to daily live what is right and good.  They know that bad habits and bad behavior bring destruction and hurt.  There is no success when dishonesty and injustice is in play.  Because of this, success-minded people work hard at being the best they can be.  They enrich the lives of those who are around them and they stand for what is right.

                There are time that standing for what is right and living your life by good principles is a lonely road.  However, if the only person who I have to answer to is me, I always want to be honorable and know that I am doing my best.

                You matter!  You matter to the world and to yourself.  Remember to be your best, love God, have good manners, achieve the unknown and change your world.

John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, Life Coach and proud Scouter. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey


No comments:

Post a Comment