Monday, March 17, 2014

Looking Like Success

“Show me a poorly uniformed troop and I'll show you a poorly uniformed leader.”
– Robert Baden-Powell
(1857-1941) Founder of the Boy Scouts

Back in 1988, author John T. Molloy put out the popular book, Dress For Success.  At that time people worked at looking their best for business.  Since that book came out, our business "dress code" has become more and more slack.  First the idea of wearing a tie to work was put aside.  After that we entered into "casual Fridays".  Today, it is do whatever you feel like for most businesses.  Rather than dressing up we have focused on dressing down.

                Let me start by saying that I am not pushing the idea that everyone wears a three price suit to work each day.  However, I do believe that our lack of care to how we look has caused an effect on the quality of work we do.  When you do not see the value in yourself to look good, you do not see the value to do good work.

                It does not take a research team or a government funded study to see that along with the casual attitude people have with dress, comes a casual attitude with the appearance of our workplace, and the quality of our products.  When one does not care how they look, they do not care how they perform.  That attitude of, "This is my life and I can do what I want" penetrates every area of our work and personal life.

                People work better, feel better and care more when they take pride in how they look and act.  I work from home most of the time.  Yet, every day I make sure I am clean and dressed for work before I start to write.  No, I do not wear my bow tie every day, but I do make sure that I look presentable for the workplace.  The idea that those who work from home can sit at their computer in their underwear only says that they really do not care about the quality of work that they produce.

                I know that many will not fully agree with this view, that is okay.  But I do challenge you to try a little experiment.  For one month, dress you best each and every day.  See if you do not feel more confident, positive, work harder and do better.  I bet you will find that just dressing up a bit; taking pride in how you look will change your attitude to the better and therefore your work to the better.

                You matter!  You matter to the world and to yourself.  Remember to be your best, love God, have good manners, achieve the unknown and change your world.


John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, Life Coach and proud Scouter. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment