Tuesday, September 8, 2020

We Need a Good Laugh

 


There are few things I like more than a good laugh. Laughter lifts our spirits, keeps us positive, and is just downright good for you. Comedian Milton Berle said, “Laughter is an instant vacation.” There is little argument that we all need to laugh more. 

One of the great things about Scouting is that both Scouts and Scouters love to laugh. To those who pay attention to life, you soon discover that there is plenty to laugh about. I am so thankful I grew up in a time of great comedians. I know there are many today as well, but give these greats a try.

 “Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand.” – Mark Twain

“A celebrity is a person who works hard all his life to become well known, then wears dark glasses to avoid being recognized.” – Fred Allen

“All my life, I always wanted to be somebody.  Now I see that I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

“All of us have had moments in our lives that tested our courage.  Taking children into a house with a white carpet is one of them.” – Erma Bombeck

“I am not afraid of death; I just don’t want to be there when it happens.” – Woody Allen

“I don’t care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.” – Groucho Marx

                                                                                                       “ – Harpo Marx

“Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in?  I think that’s how dogs spend their lives.” – Sue Murphy

“My only problem is I keep forgetting to take my ginkgo balboa.” – John Patrick Hickey

“Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a purpose.” – Garrison Keillor

“Camping is nature’s way of promoting the motel business.” – Dave Barry

Scouts know that a day without laughter is a day with little progress. Make it a point to laugh long and hard. If you are unfamiliar with some of the names here, go on YouTube and look them up. I promise you some good laughs. Need something more to laugh at? Look in the mirror. God is great at telling jokes.

Scouting Out of Uniform is a personal blog based on the lessons learned from Scouting that relate to personal development and success principles and is not an official site of The Boy Scouts of America. John Patrick Hickey does not represent or speak for the Scouting program; however, he does completely support and encourages Scouting for both young and old. John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, Personal Development Coach, and proud Scouter. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business, or group, visit our website at www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2020 John Patrick Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment