Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Open Letter on BSA Bankruptcy


This is the second day for my test of an online journal. I am still doing my written one until I decide what I want to do. My question today was whether I was going to wait until I finish the handwritten one before doing the online, or if I would reenter the pages I have done so far for this year to have the full year, or I can stop the old and do the new. Silly to think about, but that is how my brain works.

I got some disturbing news this morning; it seems that the BSA filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy just after midnight last night. One of the reasons for this is that they have so much they are paying in abuse lawsuits that they cannot afford it. This hole thing brings many questions to my mind.

I do feel that the downturn of the Scouts over the past few years has been because the leadership has strayed from the Scout Oath and Law. I know they will say that the Oath and Law are the foundation of all they do. That is like saying the Scriptures are the foundation of the Church. Just because you know them, recite them, and use them often does not mean you apply them or believe them.

As with any oath, the proof is in our behavior and not in our words. I find it puzzling that the BSA’s biggest problem is the sexual abuse caused by Scout Leaders abusing Scouts, yet, not long ago, the BSA welcomed openly gay Scouts and leaders into the organization. I am the first to say that there have always been gay leaders and Scouts in the BSA. However, as a policy, it was not accepted as the norm for Scouts or leaders. Now, the issue is that the actions of gay leaders and some Scouts were so awful that we pay millions to “compensate” the victims. This makes no sense to me at all.

In a desire to be more socially relevant, the BSA has compromised and twisted it Oath and Law so that they mean nothing but good ideas. Even the very foundation of Boy Scouts has been taken down with the entrance of girls into the Troops. I have no problem with girls in Scouting. That, too, has been a reality for years. However, the Boy Scouts were just that – Boy Scouts. There is a place for Girl Scouts, and that too should be recognized and kept for girls. It is not an issue of inclusiveness as much as it is the identity for the boys. It is one more thing in our society to masculinize boys.

Even the outdoor, high adventure image of Scouts has been watered down. Troops can no longer play games like dodge ball, and in some districts, guns have been taken out of the merit badge curriculum. Scouts are no longer building strong and brave men. They are not even making boys. In the words of Sir Robert Baden-Powell, “God made man to be men.”

I know that this may be upsetting to some. I admit that I am disturbed by the “everything is wonderful and no need to be alarmed” attitude that is often pushed. I am a very positive person as anyone who has read my blogs knows. However, being positive is not a denial of unpleasant things. When standing in a burning house, the positive person does not say, “Isn’t the heat nice.”

I love Scouting and believe it has the potential to help young people develop character and to become good citizens. But I have to say I see the house is on fire. There has got to be some changes made and made quickly if we are to survive. I do not have all the answers, nor do I think I can do better than others. I am sure that there are many things I do not know or understand. However, that only makes me one of the thousands of Scouts and Scouters who hold these same concerns.

The thing we do know is the Scout Oath and Law. We know it, understand it, and believe it. Many Scouts and Scouters work hard to apply the Oath and Law to their lives and to live it every day. Scouting is more than an organization we belong to; it is a way of life. We expect the same from our leadership, and to be frank, we do not see that happening.

Please let me encourage you with this, make your district and national leadership know how you feel. Be honest and straight forward with them about your concerns and feelings. Remembering that a Scout is kind and courteous. It is your duty as a Scout to help everyone, even those in leadership, to be their best, and to succeed. Baden-Powell reminds us, “We never fail when we do our duty, we always fail when we neglect to do it.”

Scouting Out of Uniform is a personal blog based on the lessons learned from Scouting that relate to personal development and success principles and is not an official site of The Boy Scouts of America. John Patrick Hickey does not represent or speak for the Scouting program; however, he does completely support and encourages Scouting for both young and old. John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, Personal Development Coach, and proud Scouter. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business, or group, visit our website at www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2020 John Patrick Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment