Wednesday, November 7, 2018

It's Possible

If I was to list all the assets that help me to succeed in life, at the top of my list I would have to put my ten grandchildren and being a Scout leader.  Why?  Because that much contact with children has revitalized my ability to believe in the impossible.  Young people really do believe that they can become anything they choose to be and that the mysteries of life are theirs to discover.  It is when we "grow up" that we begin to think the impossible is really impossible.
                I first become a Scout leader when my grandson entered Cub Scouts as a Tiger Cub.  I have wanted him to be a Scout since the day he was born.  I love Scouting and believe in the program.  He is now a Boy Scout and I am too.  It is his burning goal in life is to be an Eagle Scout and to earn all 137 merit badges.  That is a big goal for an adult, let alone a teen, but not impossible for him to achieve.
“Scoutmasters need to enter into boy's ambitions.”
– Sir Robert Baden-Powell
(1857-1941)
Founder of the Boy Scouts

                Young people are like that.  They have passion and the courage to dream big.  It is the adults in their lives that too often step on their dreams and convince them that they are impossible.  Have you ever wondered where we would be today if we never stopped believing in the impossible?  What could we have achieved as individuals or as a society?  The possibilities are endless.
                My wife and I recently watched a program on the space program forming in the 1960’s. It seemed like a time when we were all full of courage and the wonder of discovery. I am not sure what all went wrong, but something did. We were willing to take risks to back them. The examples of men and women who were not only willing but excited to place themselves in danger to discover the unknown. Some tragically died in the process, but it did not stop the next group from coming forward. Today, people are fearful of words and pictures, so fearful they need “safe spaces” and therapy to get through the day. What happened to us?
                American poet, Theodore Roethke said, "What we need is more people who specialize in the impossible."  I fully agree and I desire to be one of those people.  The young people in my life give me hope that I can be.  These Scouts believe that they will become great and do wonderful things.  I believe they will too.  I will work hard to be sure they never doubt that or stop believing in the impossible.
                If my only achievement in life is to inspire one young person to reach out into the unknown and to do what has not been done before then I have lived a life worth living. The spirit of the old space program is not dead. It might be hiding somewhere, but that is why we have Scouts. A Scout is brave. A Scout can and will go where others are afraid to go and take the risks that all discoverers have taken. They will make the world exciting again.
                Take some time and get into the thinking of a child.  Go visit some Scouts or pay more attention to the Scouts in your life.  Scouts are trained to believe in the impossible.  They are given the opportunity to become anything they choose to be.  One-hundred and thirty-seven merit badges is a lot of work, but we can do it.  Yes, I said we.  My grandson, my Scout has allowed me to take this journey with him and I will not miss a moment of it. 
You matter!  You matter to the world and to yourself.  Remember to be your best, love God, have good manners, achieve the unknown and change your world.


Scouting Out of Uniform is a personal blog based on the lessons learned from Scouting that relate to personal development and success principles and is not an official site of The Boy Scouts of America. John Patrick Hickey does not represent or speak for the Scouting program; however, he does completely support and encourages Scouting for both young and old. John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, Personal Development Coach, and proud Scouter. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2018 John Patrick Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment